Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Summer- A Fountain of Health!

Summertime.
Right in the smack middle of it.
Summer is the perfect time to rejuvenate and focus on your health. There’s nothing better for motivation than the sun’s warmth on the skin and the crisp, fresh air of budding wilderness. Just the thought of it… doesn’t it fill you with bright energy?
…Can you tell I love summer?
It’s sad because Quebec doesn’t have the longest summer in the world. I have the same attitude with summer days as I do with Christmas desserts; I enjoy every bite slowly and fully because I know they won’t be there for long. Plus, they both only come around once a year.
Summer is the time to refresh your mind and body. It doesn’t matter how old we are or what we do or anything else like that; changing our routines temporarily to reset the brain for a new year feels uber-great. In my case, it reduces stress, A LOT.
I’ve made a list of my 3 favourite ways of getting healthy during the summer. Whether you’re taking the summer off or working full time like me (or anything in between), there is always time to devote to your health if you put your mind to it.

1. Buy fresh produce

If you live in more northern areas (like me!), fruits and vegetables can be available all year- but not necessarily in the best shape. If there is a time to begin consuming more fruits and vegetables, do so in the summer. I love fruit, especially strawberries, but in January it’s kind of hard to eat them when they begin rotting after a day or two in the fridge. For someone who dislikes fruits and veggies to begin with, buying them in bad conditions is NOT going to help them enjoy these foods more!
Incorporate more produce in your meals. Eat your favourite fruits as snacks in between meals to satisfy sugary cravings. The fibers in them keep the stomach fuller for longer and they are abundant in vitamins.

2. Enjoy nature

When it comes to nature, I’m lucky- my hometown is abundant with it. My house borders the woods. We have a thousand lakes. For those of you who have access to a little corner of nature (even if it’s just a small park!), take advantage of the place to relax!
Read a book outside while listening to the wind blowing through the trees. Rent a canoe or kayak and explore a nearby lake (or river!).  Take a stroll somewhere and enjoy the sunshine. Think of nothing else but what surrounds you. Realize how beautiful the world can be.


3. Move!

There is NO excuse not to move in the summer. On the contrary! There are several options that open up when the snow melts.
-It’s so much more fun to go swimming, outside or inside, during the summer. I’m a year-round swimmer, but this is perfect for the summer because it’s the only sport you can perform comfortably when it’s 40 degrees outside. When it’s that hot, people can’t WAIT for their pool work-out.
-Bike! Whether it’s to get somewhere or to increase your speed and endurance, biking is a fun way to explore your town.
-Walking more is another fun option in the summer. It’s not always ideal to take leisure walks when it’s -35 degrees outside and your face feels like it’s going to fall off. That’s why I walk as often as I can in the summer.
-Go camping! That would fit in category 2 as well. Wild camping can be very physical when you do the following- collecting firewood, setting up tents, carrying heavy loads…

No comments:

Post a Comment